Puppy socialization: meeting with adult dogs
Socialization is very important for the future life of the dog. Only in this case, if you provide the puppy with competent socialization, will he grow up safe for others and confident.
However, do not forget that the time of socialization is limited for most puppies in the first 12 to 16 weeks. That is, in a short time, the baby needs to be introduced to many things. And one of the most important components of puppy socialization is meeting with adult dogs of different breeds.
How to make these encounters safe and beneficial for your puppy? Perhaps you should heed the advice of the world famous dog trainer Victoria Stilwell.
5 tips for socializing your puppy and meeting adult dogs from Victoria Stilwell
- Remember that the puppy needs to meet different dogs in order to learn to understand their language and interact with them.
- It is best to choose a quiet friendly dog to meet the puppy, which will not show aggression and will not scare the baby.
- When an adult dog and puppy meet, the leashes should be sagging. Let us sniff each other and make sure that the leashes do not stretch and are not tangled.
- Never, by any means, drag a puppy to an adult dog by force and do not force him to communicate if he is still afraid. Socialization can be called successful only if the puppy has not received negative experience and was not afraid.
- If the acquaintance is going well and both parties show reconciliation signals, you can unfasten the leashes and let them talk freely.
Do not neglect the socialization of the puppy. If you do not take this time, then you risk getting a dog that does not know how to communicate with relatives, is afraid of them or is aggressive. And it is quite difficult to live with such a pet, because you constantly have to go around other dogs, there is no way to attend events where other dogs will be, even a walk or a trip to the veterinary clinic becomes a big problem.